This dish Ben shared with WDTD is a great Sunday lunch dish when you are craving something a little indulgent but don’t want to spend all day in the kitchen
Ben: I live in a converted Mosman shoe factory with my partner Diana. We love living by the beach but also spend a fair bit of time working and hanging out with friends in the city so its a great mix of intensity and relaxation. I run my own Architecture practice and Diana has a demanding job so time spent at home is precious for us. I like to cook when I have some down time. I find the process relaxing and I like to fill peoples bellies. It’s the best way to engage friends and family around the dinner table.
- Who: Ben Mitchell
- Home is: Mosman
- Family origin: The Blue Mountains
- I can’t live without: Happiness
- Occupation: Architect, owner of THOSE Architects
- Dream Job: Architect
- Currently I am obsessed with: Architecture
- Childhood taste: Ma’s jam and cheese sandwiches
- I will always have in my pantry: Quality sea salt
- I learnt to cook from: My Mum
- Currently I’m listening to: My kids chattering away on facetime
- One day I must visit: The Galapagos Islands
- Go to meal: Atlantic salmon with asian marinade and fresh greens
- I am really good at: Chasing dreams
- The unforgettable meal: Mum’s roasts
- My piece of Sydney: Observatory Hill
- Guilty pleasure: Chocolate
- Who does the dishes: Whoever doesn’t do the cooking
Pan fried gnocchi with mushroom and sage butter
Ingredients - Serves 4
- 500g Fresh potato gnocchi
- 150g Butter
- 250g Swiss brown mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves, halved
- 1/3 Cup fresh sage leaves
- Shaved parmesan
- Cook the gnocchi in a large saucepan of salted boiling water until tender then drain it.
- Heat one-third of the butter in a frying pan over medium heat until foaming. Add the mushrooms and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Transfer to a separate bowl. Remove the garlic and discard. Heat the remaining butter in pan over medium heat until foaming. Add the gnocchi and sage and cook, stirring for 5-8 minutes or until the gnocchi and butter are golden and the sage is crisp.
- Transfer the mushrooms to the gnocchi mixture. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Divide the gnocchi mixture among serving bowls. Top with shaved parmesan.