Prep time: | Cook time:
Ingredients - Serves 4 - 6
- 400g dark chocolate (this recipe works best with chocolate that has a minimum of 50 – 60% cocoa solids)
- 200g butter
- 200g castor sugar
- a pinch of sea salt
- 5 eggs (separated)
- 150 – 200g finely chopped roasted hazelnuts
- Pre-heat oven to 170˚c and line the base and sides of a 20cm springform cake tin with parchment paper.
- Place butter, chocolate, sugar and salt over a bain-marie and heat gently until well combined.
- Remove from heat to cool a little then add the egg yolks one at at time.
- Fold through the chopped nuts.
- Whip the egg whites with a pinch of sea salt until they hold their form then fold through the chocolate mix 1/3 at a time.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for 40 – 45 mins.
- Check the cake with a skewer, the top of the cake should be firm but the inside will remain quite moist.
- The cake can be difficult to slice when it is still hot so it is best to let it cool slightly before serving with slices of raspberry poached pear. Drizzle with the poaching liquid, some more nuts, and cream or ice-cream.