Prep time: | Cook time:
Ingredients - Serves 1
- 1 piece of steak – used here is Scotch fillet, the ribbons of fat that run through the meat keep it moist and tender while cooking
- 1 bunch of asparagus (or other seasonal greens)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- cooking oil
- At least an hour in advance if possible, remove the steak from packaging and pat dry evenly with paper towel. Sprinkle over lots of salt. Leave steak out of the fridge and allow to come to room temperature.
- For the seasoning sauce. Mix the sugar, vinegar and soy. Add a teaspoon of water. Taste it. If you like it, that’s your sauce, done. If not, vary your proportions.
- Turn on your barbecue or cast iron pan on the kitchen stove until smoking hot.
- Pat your steak dry again then cook it simultaneously from all sides (until springy to the touch for medium) at a gentle pace around 10-15 sec on each side for more even and fast cooking.
- Put your asparagus onto the barbecue (or a separate sauté pan with a bit of oil if cooking in the kitchen) with a generous sprinkle of salt.
- The most important bit! If you skip this step then you don’t really deserve to cook or eat steak – just so you know. Take your steak off the barbecue and let it rest at least six or seven minutes to seal in the juices and keep the steak tender.
- Poaching the egg. Put some water on to boil on medium heat. Get it just below boiling. Crack your egg into a strainer (this means you will avoid all the stringy bits you normally get when you poach an egg), get the egg from the strainer into a small bowl then into the pot of just below boiling water, turn the heat off the pot and put the lid on. Come back in five minutes.
- Get the asparagus off the barbecue and put some butter on them.
- Slice up your steak after it has rested (this is not necessary, but helps if you are serving steak to people who ‘don’t like steak’). Serve asparagus on the plate and your steak on top. Season with the mixed sauce then top with the poached egg. Unbelievable!